I am running my own small business by designing mathematical 3d-models and related mathematical objects (see MO-Labs.com).
I received my Ph.D. (computational algebraic geometry) from the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany) in 2005 (October).
After 6 months as a PostDoc at the RICAM research insitute (Linz, Austria), I moved to Saarbrücken (Germany) where I was Frank-Olaf Schreyer's assistant until April 2013. Since then I am running my own business, selling mathematical objects, producing related software, and teaching related mathematics.
I spent the summer term 2008 as a visiting professor (,,Vertretungs-Professor'') at Erlangen, and summer term 2011 as a visiting professor at Cologne.
- April 2013 - now: Math and Managing Head of my own business called MO-Labs.
- Oct. 2015 - Sept. 2016: PostDoc at Mainz University, history of mathematics group
- March 2014 - Sept. 2016: Researcher in the MC-Squared Project at the university of Potsdam.
Since Oct. 2015: also research and teaching in the history of mathematics working group at the university of Mainz.
- April 2006 - March 2013: Assistant of Frank-Olaf Schreyer at the university of Saarbrücken (Germany).
- March 2011-July 2011: Visiting Professor for mathematics and didactics at the University of Köln (in German: Vertretungsprofessur)
- April 2008 - July 2008: Visiting Professor (,,Vertretungs-Professor'') at the math department of the University of Erlangen.
- Oct. 2005 - March 2006: PostDoc at the RICAM (Linz, Austria), in Josef Schicho's working group. Financed by the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- July 2001 - October 2005: Ph.D. student of Duco van Straten at the university of Mainz (Germany).
- 2005: Ph.D. in mathematics (summa cum laude), Department of Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany). Advisor: Duco van Straten. Title of the Thesis: Hypersurfaces with Many Singularities -- History, Constructions, Algorithms, Visualization.
- 2001: Diploma in mathematics, Department of Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany). Advisor: Duco van Straten. Title of the Diploma Thesis: Kubische Fl?chen und Cobles Hexaederform.
- 1997: Ma?trise Math?matiques Pures, Universit? de la Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens (France). I received this degree after my one-year-stay at this university.
- 1996: Vordiplom (equiv. to Bachelor) in mathematics, Department of Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany).
- 1994: Started to study mathematics with subsidiary subject business administration at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany).
Scholarships and Grants
- 2006: Research Prize of the University of Mainz for my Ph.D. thesis.
- 2005: Grant (together with Duco van Straten) of the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz for E-Learning: Accepted for continuing the previous project (6 months).
- 2004: Grant (together with Duco van Straten) of the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz for E-Learning: Supported a programming assistant for 4 months (in order to extend my tool surfex).
- 2000-2001: Scholarship (six months) of the Johannes Gutenberg University for finishing my Diploma thesis.
- 1996/97: ERASMUS scholarship (10 months) for my stay in Amiens (France).
- Independent teaching:
2008: Dynamic Geometry Lecture (at Erlangen as a visiting professor)
2008: Algebraic Curves Seminar (at Erlangen as a visiting professor)
2007/08: Dynamic Geometry Lecture
2007: Algebraic Topology Lecture
- Since 2006:
Teaching and Research Assistant of Frank-Olaf Schreyer at the Saarland University (Germany).
Organized and supervised several tutorial classes for courses taught by Frank-Olaf.
From 2007 on, I also did some independant teaching starting with a lecture on algebraic topology and followed by one on dynamic geometry.
See the teaching section for more details.
Teaching and Research Assistant of Duco van Straten at the University of Mainz (Germany).
Organized exercise classes and held tutorial lectures in: Linear Algebra I-II, Analysis I, Mathematics for Computer Scientists I-III.
Organized and held practical sessions in: Computer Algebra for Mathematicians, Computer Algebra for Computer Scientists.
Co-organized several seminars (with Duco van Straten).
Co-advised several Diploma and Staatsexamen Theses (with Duco van Straten).
- 2001-2004: Organizer (with D. v. Straten, M. Lehn) of the project ''Mathematik am Mittwoch Mittag'' (MMM): pupils (13-18 years old) came to the university for 3 hours on wednesdays to experience some mathematics.
Jobs and other Activities
- 2013 - now: I am running my own business, called MO-Labs, selling mathematical objects, related software, and teaching related mathematics.
- 2001-2006: MONOID: web-editor of the maths journal for pupils.
- 1998-2000: IC-Haus: programming, mainly c and database programming in VisualBasic for MSAccess
- 1999, 2000: i-p-tel.com: mainly CeBIT 1999 and CeBIT 2000
- 1998: One year in the executive board of the local comitee Mainz/Wiesbaden of the student organization AIESEC; responsible for organizing internships for foreigners in the Mainz area.
- Sports: Badminton, Running, Squash, Tennis, ...
- Meeting people.
- Practicing languages.
- Internet & Maths programming.
Recent & Upcoming (Selected Events)
- July 24-31 2016: ICME Hamburg. Invited Talk and exhibition (with S. Halverscheid) on Felix Klein and mathematical models during the thematic afternoon on Wednesday.
- Jule 20-23, 2016: Organiser of a Workshop at the "Imaginary Conference" on an Imaginary Book.
- June 28, 2016: Invited Talk/Workshop at ICERM (Providence, USA) on algebraic surfaces, their visualisations and 3D-models
- Oct. 27, 2015: Talk "On Alfred Clebsch and Cubic Surfaces." at the history of mathematics meeting at MFO, Oberwolfach, Germany
- March 13, 2014: Talk at Nancy (France) on cubic surface models. See MO-Labs.com for some of them.
- April 1, 2013: My new website MO-Labs.com on which I present some of the mathematical objects I have been producing.
- Sept. 29, 2012: Workshop on the question: How to use the new capabilities of 3d-printing for teaching purposes. AK MUI Meeting at Soest, Germany.
- Sept 20, 2012: Two workshops at the DMV-Tagung on: Neue mathematische 3d-Modelle für die Lehre.
- Sept. 14-15, 2012: A small exhibition on mathematical 3d-models for teaching during the conference on geometry teaching at Saarbrücken, Germany.
- August 2012: My new website MO-Labs.com has been released. You may now purchase some of my mathematical 3d-models online.
- June 23, 2012: Talk at the conference CADGME 2012, at Novi Sad, Serbia.
- June 12, 2012: Talk at the Mini-Workshop on the history of mathematical instruments, mashines, and models. Mainz, Germany.
- May 31, 2012: Opening of the exhibition Forms and Formulas at Lisboa, Portugal, on 300 square meters. I am one of the three curators. We show more than 60 of my 3d-printed mathematical models, together with other new and historical pieces!
- April 26, 2012: Invited talk at the IMAGINARY-Conference at Barcelona, Spain.
- April 24, 2012: Talk at the Didactics Colloquium at the Saarland University.
- April 4, 2012: Talk at the annual MNU meeting at Freiburg, Germany.
- March 2012: Talk at the annual meeting of the GDM at Weingarten, Germany.
- Nov. 10, 2011: Invited Talk at the ETH, Zürich, Switzerland.
- Oct. 11, 2011: Invited Talk at the Maths Institute at Lisbon, Portugal: Parabolas are Useful!
- Sept. 25, 2011: Talk on Zeros and Discriminants of Polynomials during the AkMUI Conference at Soest, Germany.
- Sept. 20, 2011: Workshop on Understanding Chaotic Behaviour using GeoGebra (in German) at the so-called Lehrertag of the annual DMV Meeting. Cologne, Germany. Material
- Sept. 1-4, 2011: Invited Talk at the conference Geometry from an Advanced Point of View at Aveiro, Portugal.
- March - July 2011: Visiting Professor at the university of Cologne (in German: Vertretung einer Professur).
- Nov. 6, 2010: Workshop Algebra in Bildern at the CASIO meeting called Teach and Talk, Nürnberg, Germany. PDF-Download.
- Sept. 27, 2010: Talk at the Oberseminar Südwest, Karlsruhe, Germany: Algebraische Geometrie in der Sekundarstufe I? (in German).
- Sept. 25, 2010: Talk and Workshop at AkMUI 2010, Soest, Germany: Algebraische Geometrie versus Analytische Geometrie in der Schule (in German).
- Sept. 12, 2010: Talk at AkGeo 2010, Marktbreit, Germany: Terme in Bildern in der Sekundarstufe I (in German).
- March 2010: Invited talk at the Saga Workshop 2010, Auron, France: Visualization of Real Algebraic Curves and Surfaces with Singularities.
- February 2010: Talk at the Convex Algebraic Geometry Workshop at Banff, Canada: Visualizing Convex Algebraic Geometry
- July 2009: Talk at the university of Hannover, Germany: Real surfaces with real singularities and applications (in didactics and architecture)
- May 2009: Talk at the architecture department of the technical university at Cottbus, Germany: Algebraic Geometry in Architecture?
- Feb. 18, 2009: Talk at the Otto-Hahn-Gymnasium at Saarbrücken (Germany): Von Pythagoras zu aktueller algebraischer Geometrie (PDF)
- Nov. 3 - Nov. 7, 2008: at the Maths Research Institute at Oberwolfach (Germany): Organizer of a teachers' training course on the use of algebraic curves and surfaces in school (in German).
- Oct. 24. - Nov. 16, 2008: Ausstellung IMAGINARY 2008 in der K4-Galerie in Saarbrücken.
- Sept. 2008 at Kassel (Germany): Talk at the AKMUI meeting.
- Sept 2008 at Erlangen (Germany): Talk at the DMV Conference. I am also one of the organizers of a Mini-Symposium there.
- Sept 2008 at Oslo (Norway): Talk at the CMA seminar.
- August 2008 at Saarbrücken: Talk at the Kulturmeilen-Fest: Über die Schönheit der Geometrie(in German). PDF-Download. Mathematische Animationen zum Vortrag: Barth-Fläche, Enriques-Flächen, meine 99-nodale Fläche.
- January 2008: Our paper on surfaces with many solitary points on arxiv.org.
- December 2007 at Paris (France): Invited Talk at MACIS 2007: Visualization Challenges in Real Algebraic Geometry
- 2006, December 1: Together with Hans-Christian Graf von Bothmer, I present an advent calendar of geometrical animations: http://Calendar.AlgebraicSurface.net