CV (Curriculum Vitae)
Since 2012 I have been running my business called MO-Labs. I create mathematical sculptures and other mathematical objects such as mathematical models, mathematical illustrations, interactive illustrations, mathematical software, websites, etc. Moreover, I give talks about historical and modern math objects. Another focus is the creation of math-related exhibitions.
Although I am not affiliated to any university, I frequently teach at different universities.
As you may see from the positions mentioned below,
- my first research focus was algebraic geometry with computational and historical aspects, about 1999-now (still now as part of my business),
- then applications of this to computer science and architecture, with a focus on geometric modeling, about 2006-now (still now as part of my business),
- then applications of this to math didactics, about 2009-now (still now as part of my business),
- and finally applications of this to the history of mathematics with a focus on 19th century mathematics, in particular mathematical 3d-models created during this period, about 2003-now (still now as part of my business).
In my business MO-Labs I am now combining all of these diverse backgrounds: higher geometry (not only algebraic, but also differential, discrete, etc.) for creating abstract math objects, geometric modeling for realizing them as a 3d data set for 3d-printing or laser-in-glass, math didactics because I need to know which objects may be used for teaching, and math history because I need to know which objects have a history and how I should incorporate this in my own creations.
- 2012-now: Since 2012 I have been running my own business called MO-Labs, first part time, now full time. For other positions I held in the past, see below:
Temporary professor positions
- 03.2011-07.2011: temporary professor for mathematics and its didactics at the university of Cologne, Germany
- 04.2008-08.2008: temporary professor for algebra, university of Erlangen-Nürnberg
Other research and teaching positions
- 10/2015-09/2016: 50%-position at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany, in the history of math and science group
- 10/2014-09/2016: 50%-position at the university of Potsdam, Germany, in the math didactics group, in the e-learning EU project called “MC Squared” creating interactive math books for tables etc.
- 03/2014-09/2014: 50%-position at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Germany, in the math didactics group, in the e-learning EU project called “MC Squared” creating interactive math books for tables etc.
- 04/2006-03-2013: full position at Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany, in the math and computer science group
- 10.2005-03.2006: full position at the RICAM research institute, Linz, Austria, in the computer algebra group
- 07.2001-10.2005: 50% position at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany, for preparing my dissertation in mathematics (algebraic geometry)
Pure teaching positions
08.2009-07.2011: math teacher of a 7th and 8th grade school class at the Sebastian Münster Gymnasium, Ingelheim, Germany (3-4 hours per week, parallel to my full position at Saarland university)
- 2005: Ph.D. (mathematics, algebraic geometry), Ph.D. thesis Hypersurfaces with Many Singularities, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany).
- 2001: Diploma (mathematics, algebraic geometry), Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany). Diplomarbeit: Kubische Flächen und die Coblesche Hexaederform.
- 1997: Maîtrise mathématiques, Université de la Picardie Jules Verne (France). Thèse: Les groupes libres et leurs sous-groupes.
- 1994-2001: Studies of mathematics (main subject), computer science, and economics, at the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany).
- 1998: Participant (we came in 5th) at the Robocup ’98 roboter soccer world cup as part of the team “Mainz Rolling Brains” of the computer science department of the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz. See an article by Daniel Polani et al on this team.
- 1997-1998: During my studies: one year in the excutive board of the student organization AIESEC in the local committee at Mainz, Germany.