CV (Curriculum Vitae)
Since 2012 I have been running my business called MO-Labs. I create mathematical sculptures and other mathematical objects such as mathematical models, mathematical illustrations, interactive illustrations, mathematical software, websites, etc. Moreover, I give talks about historical and modern math objects. Another focus is the creation of math-related exhibitions.
Although I am not affiliated to any university, I frequently teach at different universities.
For my math objects, math research, math teaching, and math talks, please see the other sections of this website.
As you may see from the positions mentioned below,
- my first research focus was algebraic geometry with computational and historical aspects, about 1999-now (still now as part of my business),
- then applications of this to computer science and architecture, with a focus on geometric modeling, about 2006-now (still now as part of my business),
- then applications of this to math didactics, about 2009-now (still now as part of my business),
- and finally applications of this to the history of mathematics with a focus on 19th century mathematics, in particular mathematical 3d-models created during this period, about 2003-now (still now as part of my business).
In my business MO-Labs I am now combining all of these diverse backgrounds: higher geometry (not only algebraic, but also differential, discrete, etc.) for creating abstract math objects, geometric modeling for realizing them as a 3d data set, math didactics because I need to know which objects may be used for teaching, and math history because I need to know which objects have a history and how I should incorporate this in my own creations.
- 2012-now: Since 2012 I have been running my own business called MO-Labs, first part time, now full time. For other positions I held in the past, see below:
Temporary professor positions
- 03.2011-07.2011: temporary professor for mathematics and its didactics at the university of Cologne, Germany
- 04.2008-08.2008: temporary professor for algebra, university of Erlangen-Nürnberg
Other Research and teaching positions
- 10/2015-09/2016: 50%-position at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany, in the history of math and science group
- 10/2014-09/2016: 50%-position at the university of Potsdam, Germany, in the math didactics group, in the e-learning EU project called “MC Squared” creating interactive math books for tables etc.
- 03/2014-09/2014: 50%-position at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Germany, in the math didactics group, in the e-learning EU project called “MC Squared” creating interactive math books for tables etc.
- 04/2006-03-2013: full position at Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany, in the math and computer science group
- 10.2005-03.2006: full position at the RICAM research institute, Linz, Austria, in the computer algebra group
- 07.2001-10.2005: 50% position at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany, for preparing my dissertation in mathematics (algebraic geometry)
Pure teaching positions
08.2009-07.2011: math teacher of a 7th and 8th grade school class at the Sebastian Münster Gymnasium, Ingelheim, Germany (3-4 hours per week, parallel to my full position at Saarland university)
- 2005: Ph.D. (mathematics, algebraic geometry), Ph.D. thesis Hypersurfaces with Many Singularities, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany).
- 2001: Diploma (mathematics, algebraic geometry), Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany). Diplomarbeit: Kubische Flächen und die Coblesche Hexaederform.
- 1997: Maîtrise mathématiques, Université de la Picardie Jules Verne (France). Thèse: Les groupes libres et leurs sous-groupes.
- 1994-2001: Studies of mathematics (main subject), computer science, and economics, at the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (Germany).
- 1998: Participant at the Robocup ’98 roboter soccer world cup as part of the team “Mainz Rolling Brains” of the computer science department of the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz.
- 1997-1998: During my studies: one year in the excutive board of the student organization AIESEC, Mainz.